This second version has been revised taking in mind the reviewer’ comments. The following changes have been done:
- Revision of manuscript by English mother tongue;
- Integration of the diagram of processes with PostGIS functions utilized;
- Rewording of sentences that cited the references on model validation (including weather stations data) of previous desktop version of CRZ model;
- Integration of the example of operational use of model outputs in the last severe food crisis in Niger;
- Specified the spatial resolution of input data, advantages and challenges.
Up to now we haven’t feedback on the use of the 4Crop web system because the transfer and training are in progress and the whole crop season evaluation will start at the end of September of the current year.
Moreover, in our vision, the great advantage in using PostGIS and PL/pgSQL is to dispose of a unique environment for managing raster data instead of the use of external GIS raster software for preprocessing satellite images for the model runs.
However, as we added new content and references, the word limit set by OGRS is exceeded, being more than 1500 words.
This version of the paper was formatted according to the guidelines provided by OGRS committee.