_Nature Research_ is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
**Job Title: Associate or Senior Editor
Department: Nature Materials
Location: London, Berlin or New York**
_Nature Research_ is the world’s leader in publishing high-quality research from across the journal sciences. Its journals include Nature, the Nature Research journals, the Nature Reviews journals and Nature Materials.
_Nature Materials_ (part of Macmillan Publishers, branded as Springer Nature) publishes cutting-edge, high-quality research across the entire breadth of materials science and technology. To help us to build on the success of this journal, we’re seeking a researcher in condensed matter physics who has a critical eye, a deep understanding of their subject and interests beyond, and who can think on their feet. We are particularly interested in applicants with expertise in areas related to correlated electron systems, magnetism, superconductivity and/or topological insulators but we would welcome applications from outstanding candidates in any area of materials physics.
Key elements of the position include selection of manuscripts for publication, as well as commissioning, editing and writing for the journal. Close contact with related research communities, through conferences and laboratory visits, will be an essential component of the work.
The successful candidate will report to the Chief Editor of the journal and play an important role in determining the representation of their subject in the journal. Our editors handle original research papers, and work closely with other editors in their team on all aspects of the editorial process. They also liaise extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family and with leading experts in the international scientific community.
The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis, and may be located in either our London, Berlin or New York office.
Skills & Experience
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- Research experience to PhD level (or equivalent) in a discipline related to materials science. Postdoctoral research experience is strongly preferred. A thorough understanding of the fundamentals of the subject is essential.
- A passion for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research, both within and beyond your speciality.
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of this discipline, and to make well-reasoned editorial decisions in the light of expert advice.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and fluency in English (written and spoken).
- Eagerness to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers that we seek to publish.