Vacancy at PeerJ for a Staff Editor in Computer Science
PeerJ united kingdom, united states
Position: Staff Editor - Computer Science
PeerJ is an award-winning, open access, peer-reviewed, scholarly journal publisher covering many academic disciplines (including computer science, biology, life science, medicine, environmental science, and chemistry).
We have a vacancy for a staff editor to work with the authors, editors and peer-reviewers of our peer-reviewed journal publication “PeerJ Computer Science”(a title which covers the academic field of computer science) This position will expose the employee to a broad range of issues related to the mechanics, ethics and day-to-day business of managing the editorial aspects of an effective peer -review process. The role deals with content related issues; it helps to maintain an effective quality control and peer-review process; and it involves frequent interactions with academics worldwide.
Starting ASAP, this is a full time position working from home with flexible working hours. We are specifically looking for someone with expertise in the academic discipline of computer science.
- In collaboration with other team members, responsible for the integrity, speed and smooth running of the Peer-Review process. This includes (but is not limited to) initial staff checks; assigning Editors to papers; responding to Academic Editors and Section Editors; chasing Academic Editors; chasing Reviewers; research and identify peer-reviewers on behalf of some Editors; handling editorial Appeals; recruiting Editors; commissioning and promoting special issues; developing and advising on new content types or partnerships etc.
- Expected to suggest and implement process improvements which will improve the KPIs of the peer-review process.
- Respond to specific emails (relevant to the responsibilities of this position) as they come in to shared inboxes
- Other editorial tasks as required by the role
- This role will work closely with colleagues in the Community team and Production team
Skills & Experience
**Mandatory Skills & Qualifications**
- Based in California (USA) or the United Kingdom
- Excellent English comprehension and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Demonstrated organizational skills (the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines)
- Excellent attention to detail
- An interest, and/or experience, in STM (‘Scientific, Technical and Medical’) academic publishing
- An advanced degree (minimum PhD, but ideally postdoctoral)
**Skills that would make you stand out**
- Postdoctoral experience in computer science
- Strong familiarity with the journal publication process, ideally having published and reviewed journal articles themselves. Relevant experience in similar editorial roles is an advantage, but not required.
- A passion for open science and open access publishing.
- The successful candidate will be capable of understanding complex scientific topics; able to converse with academics on ‘their level’; and able to communicate complex topics to a broader audience. They will be professional and articulate. They will be capable of handling multiple responsibilities, working independently, and meeting strict deadlines.
- Generous vacation policy (after probation period)
- Flexible working hours and a relaxed work environment
- The opportunity to play an active role in improving scientific communication and to make a difference in the world!
Show how to Apply
~ Deadline October 27, 2020 ~
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line: PeerJ Staff Editor – Computer Science.
Agencies will be ignored and reported as spam.
p.s. be sure to mention this PeerJ listing when applying.